Family History Center
Before You Schedule an Appointment
Our priority with Online Consultations is to provide support for your genealogy research. We can help with evidence analysis, translation of key words, or to identify a good next step. The goal is to empower you in your research journey. Please note the following details:
- These are free, 20-minute online research consultations.
- Please have your ancestor’s information and any digital copies of relevant documents available for reference at your consultation.
- Please provide as much information as possible about the research problem on the bookings form. This will help the research specialist be prepared to give you the best suggestions possible.
- There are a limited number of consultations available. Please allow as many people as possible to receive help by not booking more than 1 consultation in any given week.
- Some research problems, like providing document extractions, may be better met using our online community pages.
Prepare for the Consultation
After you make a booking, you will receive a confirmation email. The email will contain a link to an online meeting on Microsoft Teams. Microsoft Teams is an application you can download for the desktop of your computer. You can also access the online version of Microsoft Teams using either Google Chrome or Edge browsers.
- At the time of your appointment, open the Join Teams Meeting link to the online meeting provided in your confirmation email.
- If you have Microsoft Teams, the meeting will start immediately.
- If not, your internet browser will open to a landing page for Microsoft Teams. You will be given the option to download the app or join the meeting on the web. Click Join on the web instead.
- A new meeting will open. You do not need to enable the video camera, but please be sure the microphone option is turned on. If your device does not have a microphone built in, click Phone audio to listen through your phone.
- You may see a pop-up window asking you to allow Microsoft Teams to access your microphone and camera. Click allow.
- You will be admitted into the meeting. If you enter before the research specialist who has been assigned to help you, wait patiently and they will start the meeting shortly.
Thank you Marisa Louie for sharing this resource!